Basic Information about Macao
– Macao is located on the south-eastern coast of China, along the west bank of the Pearl River estuary. It is 60km and 145km away from Hong Kong and Guangzhou respectively.
– It covers a total area of 30.3 square kilometres, comprising of the Macao peninsular as well as two outlying islands namely Taipa and Coloane.
– As at the end of June 2016, the total population stood at 652,500, with a composition mainly of Chinese, Portuguese and other nationalities making up of around 7.7% of the total population.
– The official language is Chinese and Portuguese, with Cantonese being the language in daily use. English is also widely used in the business, tourism and commercial sectors.
– It is located in the south-east monsoonal region with a hot and wet summer, sunny, dry autumn and cool winter with little rain.
– Sophisticated infrastructure facilities provide convenient sea, land and air transportation networks. Telecommunications and Internet provides easy networking.
– Macao’s standard of public health care is comparable to that of developed countries and regions. The government provides a primary health care system which meets European public health standards.
– There is a labour force of 397,800 and a working population of 390,400, with an unemployment rate of 1.9% recorded for the second quarter of 2016.
Source: Macao Statistics and Census Services